Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

猫。

When I was in Korea last August, I witnessed a death of a kitten.
My friend and I had just gotten out of the guesthouse, and were discussing how nice the weather was, when I spotted a kitten running under a stationary car on the road. I remembered telling my friend to look, and when the traffic light turned green, the both of us screamed. The kitty, freaked out, started dashing around the road, trying to avoid moving cars. At one point, it hooked itself onto a bus, but fell off. By then, my friend and I were already at the pedestrian crossing, and was hoping the red light will come on soon so we can grab it off the road. A passing car behind swerved and managed to avoid the little thing, but the one behind ran right over it. My heart stopped; I can't remember if I screamed. 
The kitten was lying in the middle of the road, with body spasms. The light was still red, and cars were still driving pass. Amazingly, or not, no other car ran over the poor thing, but I couldn't get to it. The road was too busy. I could see the life leaving it, and I was close to tears. My hands were cold.
When the traffic light finally turned red, and the pedestrian light turned green, I ran to the little one, which wasn't twitching anymore. Picking it up and holding it in my arms, I checked for signs of living. 
I couldn't feel its heartbeat anymore, and its gums were white. But I wasn't sure, and I wanted to get help, but we didn't know if there was an animal clinic nearby. I checked again, and we were sure it was dead. We left it under a bush because we didn't know what to do. 

Later that night, we saw an animal clinic about 5 minutes from where we were. Maybe we could have saved it.

It has been about 3 months, and I still think about it. I love animals so much and it sucks to witness one's death. Tonight is one of the nights I think about it. And I just want to pen it down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment